What I'm Doing

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Arby's Loaded Potato Bites

So I just ran by Arby's and picked up some lunch. While I was there, I figured I'd go ahead and get an order of their loaded potato bites, which is one of their "limited time offers". I think what that means is that someone thought up this idea, and successfully pitched it to some higher-ups, and they're testing it on the public. Sort of a fast-food beta test.

The bites are described on Arby's menu as, "A blend of seasoned potatoes, aged Cheddar cheese, bacon and chives in a crispy coating, served with a Cool Ranch Sour Cream." Basically, they're small "potato cakes" with some extra stuff added in to make them taste like loaded baked potatos.

So, my opinion? They're okay. Not too impressive on the first bite; it takes a couple bites to decide whether you like them or not. The ones I had didn't have quite the same texture as normal potato cakes, which was a downer. The taste was interesting, but not really memorable. By that, I mean I doubt that I'm very likely to say someday, "hey, let's go to Arby's; I want some loaded potato bites" like I sometimes do regarding the potato cakes, Beef 'n Cheddar sandwich, or Chick-Fil-A's chicken sandwich. In fact, if I'm choosing a side for my meal, I'll go with curly fries or potato cakes over the loaded potato bites any time.

Now, granted, I didn't try them until after I had eaten my sandwich and potato cakes, so they'd had time to cool. They might be better when they're hotter. As it stands, though, I'm unimpressed. I'll stick with the regular potato cakes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Arby's loaded potato bites are the best. They are one of my favorite sides next to the curly fries and the loaded baked potato to go with the roast beef n cheddar sandwich! Keep up the good work, Arby's!

Anonymous said...

i am a fan of loaded potato bites i cant get enough of them. i cant find them anywhere please keep them around. yummy.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a fan of the loaded potato bites. Like the cup says, it was love at first bite! I had them with a Dr Pepper for lunch today. :->